Conserving and Protecting Water
Water is a precious resource and Ultra, Shell and QEP Resources are committed to conserving and protecting it. We implement water supply well Best Management Practices (BMPs) in the PAPA, and set a high standard for, and continually work to improve our water conservation and protection efforts. This includes:
- Reducing the use of fresh water during our operations by recycling and reuse.
- Supporting the Interim Groundwater/ Aquifer Pollution Prevention, Mitigation and Monitoring Plan established in December 2008, which includes funding for a groundwater characterization study and to augment existing monitoring programs.
- Taking precautions to provide that the natural gas development process does not impact underground drinking water sources. Read about hydraulic fracturing here.
BMPs for water supply wells include:
- Installing back flow prevention devices on all active water supply wells
- Locking all inactive water wells to prevent unauthorized use or access
- Conducting baseline sampling of new water wells
- Using hydrocarbon free lubricants in water supply well construction
Fact Sheet: Water in the PAPA
In the PAPA, operators develop gas that is located more than 7000 feet below the surface, locked in place by an impermeable rock barrier.